As Second Chance Garage was settlling into its new home, we decided that we wanted a better way to move our tools around the garage. We were tired of having to fumble around through tool chests looking for a specific wrench or sockets.
A menuboard type tool caddy seemed to fit our needs. After having finished building our work benches for the garage, we had three pieces of 3/4" plywood left over that were perfect for what we had in mind.
We started by giving the plywood a coat of paint. Then we added casters to the base. Connecting it all together was done with door hinges. First we laid the base and the sides flat and screwed on the hinges. We rested the caddy on its side to assure that the top was properly aligned. Then we carefully marked the position of the top hinges. We opened it flat again and screwed the hinges in place using only one screw. That allowed us to adjust where necessary in order to get the hinge pins to fit properly. We once again closed things up and inserted the hinge pins. We then carefully removed the hinge pins and opened things up again being mindful that the hinges didn't shift position. We added the remaining screws and pinned it back together. This finished the menuboard. Now for the "handy" part:
We screwed on a socket drawer insert that included "pegs" for storing the sockets, along with a magnetic wrench holder. We added a few U-bolts, hooks, and screwed on a piece of wood with holes drilled to accept our screwdrivers.
On the flip side, we added another magnetic wrench holder for additional open end wrenches as well as our allen wrenches, brackets for hammers, clips to hold our pliers and wire cutters and a power cord. We still have space left to add tools as we see fit. For now, on the inside of the caddy, we put our electric drills and grinder but may adjust that later if we determine that it might be put to better use.
The caddy moves around the garage easily and has the benefit of everything being in plain view...no more looking for tools in a cluttered tool box.
After a quick coat of paint we added casters to the base.
The sides were attached to the base using door hinges.
Our hinge positions is marked.
After our hinge positions were determined, we attached the hinges with a single screw to allow for some adjustment when inserting the pins into the hinges.
After inserting the hinge pins, the caddy is basically finished.
Here's our tool caddy with tools on board. Obviously, any configuration is possible.
On the flip side, we have room to add more.