1956 Chevrolet BelAir Car Restoration Project — Part 7
By Steve Nicholson
When we first started working on the car we knew there was the typical rust above the headlights.
The old paint on the front fenders was sanded off with a DA sander. After we stripped the paint off of the fenders we found that the headlight areas had been patched up before. After the rust repairs are finished the insides and the edges of the fenders will be sandblasted. Because of the previous repairs we decided to replace the upper fender area with the replacement panels from Danchuk.
We also discovered the lower sections of the fenders had been repaired with some small patches that were brazed on.
This is the right side lower fender patch that we discovered when we stripped off the old paint. It obviously had been done several years ago. Brass welding rod or bronzing rod was used because it was quick, easy and used low heat before the MIG welder became popular.
After the old patch was removed we repaired the rust in the fender brace. It was then coated with some Zero-Rust coating to prevent it from rusting out again.
Because the size of the rusted area was fairly small and an easy area to shape, we thought it would be more cost efficient to repair the lower areas of the fenders as opposed to purchasing replacement lower patch panels.
This is an area that was also rusted on the front lower part of the left fender.
A small sheet metal patch was fabricated and then welded in place.
This is what we uncovered above the headlight area. This had been replaced before and was full of lead filler.
We purchased the upper headlight replacement panels from Danchuk. When we cut out all of the old repairs the new replacement panel was too small. Here you can see where we had to add in some extra metal to make the repairs.
More to come!