☰ MENU

Second Chance Garage

For the Classic Car Restoration Enthusiast

Second Chance Garage


Second Chance Garage

For the Classic Car Restoration Enthusiast

Second Chance Garage

Second Chance Garage

For the Classic Car Restoration Enthusiast

Second Chance Garage

READERS' PROJECTS

1956 Chevrolet BelAir Car Restoration Project — Part 11

By Steve Nicholson

After closer inspection we discovered that both sides of the trunk floor needed to be replaced. We probably could have patched these areas but thought it would be best if they were completely replaced.

Here is the replacement panel for the left side of the trunk floor.  The panels were purchased from Danchuk's.

Here is the replacement panel for the left side of the trunk floor. The panels were purchased from Danchuk's.


Next was the removal of the old floor.  We had to cut out a little bit more of the floor than the new panel covered.

Next was the removal of the old floor. We had to cut out a little bit more of the floor than the new panel covered.


After the new floor panel was fitted and trimmed we welded it into place. Here you can see the additional metal that we replaced next to the patch panel.

After the new floor panel was fitted and trimmed we welded it into place. Here you can see the additional metal that we replaced next to the patch panel.


We did not initially plan on replacing the right side because we already had the spare tire well welded in.  But after looking things over we decided it would be best.

We did not initially plan on replacing the right side because we already had the spare tire well welded in. But after looking things over we decided it would be best.


This is the rust on the left side trunk wall looking in through the wheel well. Both sides of the car had rust like this.  This is the area where the new trunk floors are welded.

This is the rust on the left side trunk wall looking in through the wheel well. Both sides of the car had rust like this. This is the area where the new trunk floors are welded.


We cut out the rust and welded in new pieces of metal as needed.  It's not shown in this picture but holes were drilled in this piece so that it could be plug welded to the new side floors that we just installed.  After this work was finished the trunk floor was back to its original strength.

We cut out the rust and welded in new pieces of metal as needed. It's not shown in this picture but holes were drilled in this piece so that it could be plug welded to the new side floors that we just installed. After this work was finished the trunk floor was back to its original strength.